"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Weekend: Windy City 2x & Sunday

Saturday:

Went to Windy City Crossfit w/ Mango, Emily, BillyQ, and Jonny for their 2-a-day workout. First time going to that box and everyone was awesome.

WOD #1, from New Zealand Qualifier:

2k row
50 burpees
100 lateral jumps (over 2 #45 stacked bumper plates)
Split up anyway you want

Time: 14:07

Split this up with a 1000m sandwich, and the burpees and jumps in the middle. I had been planning to portion off the burpees and jumps in nice sets, but ended up doing them all over the place (thanks Emily for putting up with me). Rows were what they normally are--not bad but not great. My pace right now is usually around a 1:55/500m split--I'd like to be able to get this to 1:50 but don't know if I can hit it consistently at a low stroke rate.

I thought this was just a decent time--would have liked to get in the 12-13 minute range. Would have placed 28th out of 40 guys at the NZ sectional. It was one of the better times for everyone at the box that morning though.


WOD #2, from NZ Qualifier:

AMRAP, 10 minutes
5 power cleans (Rx'd #155)
10 pullups

Reps: 121 (10 full rounds + 5 power cleans + 1 pullup)

This was a big surprise. My 1RM on power clean is #175, so I was thinking I would be getting 5 or 6 rounds. Something hit me before the workout out though and I just wanted to attack this one as aggressively as possible. I think part of it was because I wanted to put in a good effort and represent our box well, and also because everyone there at Windy City gave a great push. Emily also did an awesome job coaching me through. Eric W has been telling me that on my cleans and jerks I need to "get angry" at the bar, and instead of just dropping the bar at the top of the clean I found myself throwing it down. Whenever I felt my hands on my knees I took them off immediately and just picked up the bar. Pullups were usually split up 5/5, tried to butterfly as much as I could.

Would have placed 10th at the NZ qualifier, think I got a top 5 score at the box that day--a few guys did 150-155s, which was pretty ridiculous.

All in all it was a good experience. I know this wasn't an event like Sectionals but it was good practice for future competitions and everyone I met was great.


Went to Duke's for a cheat meal Saturday night. The burger would have been pretty paleo (if I hadn't eaten the bun) and had some chippers as well. Also had some beers--had been planning on going out but I was ready for bed by about 10:30p (I think I am a closet grandmother). Going to try to stay pretty good these next two weeks during the competition for our affiliate team.


Sunday, WL open gym:

Bench Press: 3-3-3+
155-170-195(9)

Back Squat: 3-3-3+
175-190-210(10)

Worked on some clean and jerks for 20 minutes

Wanted to get a lighter metcon in before the Affiliate Cup competition tomorrow, made up Friday's double under / thruster workout. Definitely want to make up the DT-ish workout at some point.

AMRAP, 15 minutes
30 double unders
10 thrusters (Rx'd #65)

10 rounds + 15 double unders

I was pretty beat up this morning, but this was a good one. Thought I could have done another round or two--shoulders were fried by the end.

Resting up tonight, can't wait to compete with everyone for the affiliate team.

2 comments: