Didn't sleep that well Monday night, so didn't workout Tuesday morning.
PM workout, 6:00p @ CFC:
Deadlift: 5-5-5+
210-245-275(10)
Felt pretty good, I think I got 8 at 285 last time. I think pulling off of the now-sunken lifting platform will help once we get to the new place. She's held up pretty well since I've been at CFC but I think the timing of our move conincides well, since she's been falling apart over the past few weeks. I pulled #350 at the CF Total and I think I had some left in the tank, so it would be great to get into the #400 range down the road.
Metcon:
As Many Round as Possible, 12 minutes
3 hang squat clean (#115)
6 burpees
9 KB swings (#72)
7 rounds + 3 HSC + 3 burpees
This was a decent performance, but I'm a little disappointed with myself mentally towards the back half of the workout. I had a pretty solid pace going until around 6:30-7:00, but then started watching the clock and would take too long of breaks in between the exercises. The cleans felt pretty solid, #115 wasn't heavy but I'm still having some trouble chaining them together w/ the hook grip. Burpees were fine, tried to push them as hard as I could. KB swings were the toughest part, trying to get to the point where #72 doesn't feel that heavy. The middle part of the workout could've been stronger--Alex wrote great post on this on his blog.
I had Ross in the corner of my eye the entire time, and was ahead of him most of the workout. However, I had a mental slip in that last round and he was able to beat me by a few burpees. I'm trying not to focus my pace as much on the people in my heat, since I think that holds me back the majority of the time (unless I'm going up Mr. Brett Raz, at which point I'm full tilt the entire time). Just another lesson for future workouts.
The final thing I wanted to add is that I've been trying to recover faster immediately post-workout. If you've ever watched Mikko Salo (2009 Games Champ) do a workout and finish, he never looks like he's going to keel over or never lays on the ground. I was watching a part of his documentary on CF Journal, and it talked about the Finnish term "Sisu," which in English roughly translates into "having guts." Mikko said he tries to follow this philosophy in everything he does. I thought this was an interesting quote:
“I once read an article about it: when animals surrender they go lying on their back,” Salo explains. “From then on I decided I would never go lying on my back. It’s a sign of weakness and surrendering. I’m never lying on my back.”
This is definitely a component I'm going to make myself work on over the next few months. I'm sure there will be a few workouts where I'll be crouched in the fetal position (please reference the 25-20-15-10-5 KB swing / box jump / wall ball workout), but I think there's something to be said for going all out but at the same time remaining relatively composed--a different type of intensity.
Food Log:
7:00a: leftover dinner (chicken, avocado, turkey burger), fish oil
8:30a: 3 eggs (whites, hardboiled), chicken breast, nuts
11:00a: 3 eggs (whole, scrambled), 1 chicken sausage
2:30p: chicken, mushrooms, almond butter
3:15p: jerky, nuts
4:45p: muscle milk lite
7:00p: 1 sc whey, 1 sc casein, 5 g creatine
8:00p: same as lunch
9:30p: smoothie--whole milk, 1 sc casein
Going to be out of town for work today and Thursday, but hope everyone enjoys the Open House tonight--can't wait until Saturday...
You are a machine seriously. I don't know how you find the energy all the time to do 2 a days!
ReplyDelete