"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Tuesday: Suck List Metcon

Today's workout at CFC forced me to do movements I'm still not great at. It was a challenging day but definitely needed it.

AM Workout, 5:45a @ Bally's:

Warmup:
100 single unders
100 or so double unders
stretching

Press: 3-3-3+
100-115-125(5)

I feel like I've reached a plateau on the press, but I just wasn't feeling it morning. My strength numbers tend to be lower during early mornings--I got 120 10 or 11 times a few weeks ago.

Back Squat:
Warmup sets: 135x8, 185x1, 205x1, 225x1
Work set: 160x20

I scaled down the number of reps during my warm ups this time, but want to get in heavier weights so that the work set feels relatively light. First 10 reps of the 20 set rep were done pretty quickly, while I took a few breaths in between the later reps, especially the last 5, to test my endurance.

Did a few intervals on the rower, double unders, more stretching.


PM workout, 6:00p @ CFC:

Found 1RM power clean: #155

I remember that a month or so ago I couldn't get #135, so I'm pleased with the progress but this is still not even close where I think it should be. Bryce and Mike T told me that I'm slowing down and pausing as the bar reaches my mid-thigh, which is killing any momentum for the clean. I also keep trying to pull the bar higher instead of getting under faster, which I think is due to my weak wrist flexibility. Work in progress.

Metcon:
5 unbroken rounds
#20 WB
Hang power cleans (50% of 1RM, used #85 (~55%)
30 sec rest in between each set

WB: 26(PR)-20-15-15-15
HPC: 21-15-12-15-10

Total: 164

I'd say this was a decent, but not great performance. I've improved a ton on wall balls--I remember doing workouts when I could only do singles. I would have liked to average 20 each round but the shoulders weren't having it. I'm intersted to see what my score during the next Fight Gone Bad is, since I got 300+ last time with wall ball rounds that were around 10 or so. I should have done better on the HPCs, didn't fight through it mentally as hard as I could have. Also, need to start using a hook grip since my grip gave out pretty quickly.


Food Log for Tuesday:
5:40a: 1.5 scoops whey, H20, applesauce (pre-work)
7:15a: smoothie--whole milk, 1 scoop whey, 5 g creatine, 2 small bites of sweet potato (post-work)
9:00a: 1/3 lb ground beef, mushroomps, 10 nuts
10:30a: 3 eggs (whole, scrambled), 1 chicken sausage
12:00p: packet of jerky, nuts
2:00p: salmon, broccoli
3:00p: muscle milk lite
5:00p: 3 eggs (whites, boiled) (pre-work)
7:00p: 1.5 scoops whey, H20, 5 g creatine (post-work)
8:30p: chicken breast, sauteed mushrooms, shredded carrots, 1/2 'cado
9:30p: smoothie--whole milk, 1 scoop caesin protein

No comments:

Post a Comment