"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Monday, January 18, 2010

Back at it

Had the day off from work today, but worked out pretty early, did some studying, and then went to CFC this afternoon--solid class.

AM workout @ Bally's, 6:15a:

Warmup:
500m row (2:05)

1 mi run (7:40/mi)

Bench Press:
135x8
170x5
190x6
190x6
190x6

Double under work, stretching

0.60 mi run (8:00/mi)


PM Workout @ CFC, 4:00p:

Press: 5-5-5+
(1RM: 145 during CFT, 150 PR--used CFT number for %s since I want to get in more reps)

58.5%: #88
67.5%: 105 (It was 101 but didn't have the plates, so just bumped it up to 105)
76.5%: 115 (11 reps)

I'm really hoping to increase this since my CFT number was #5 below my PR even after all the strength work we have been doing. I'd like to be able to do at least bodyweight at the final CFT (155-160).

Metcon:
3 rounds,
10 Chest-To-Bar Pullups
10 Front Squats (Rx'd #165, used #125)
10 Burpees

Time: 5:16

A little disappointed I wasn't able to get sub-5 on this one--a little too much staring at the bar on the front squats. First set of pullups felt awesome--unbroken. Next two rounds were something like 3-3-4, 2-3-3-2. I would like to be able to string more CTBs and I don't think I was kipping hard enough at the end to make up for the fatigue. First two sets of front squats were unbroken, nearly had the last round unbroken but wrist gave out and dumped, 8-2. Cranked out the burpees unbroken. My front squats left much to be desired--weight didn't feel heavy but I still have trouble with the rack position. I was racking the bar way too high (I think it was on my throat instead of my shoulders), and I thought I was in the process of submitting myself halfway through the WOD.

Worked on wall balls and butterflies for about 15-20 minutes after class. Wall balls are starting to get easier--need to keep my weight in my heels and try to catch the ball on the way down. Did a bunch of sets of 10-15. I'm starting to cycle butterflies faster now instead of muscling on the way down, but my legs tend to get thrown out of rhythm after about 10 or so.


Food Log for Monday:

6:00a: whey protein shake, few bites of unsweetened applesauce (didn't prep for pre-workout this morning, did it already for tomorrow)
7:30a: whey protein shake, 5g creatine, 3/4 banana
8:30a: 2 eggs (scrambled), 1 chicken sausage, glass of chocolate milk
11:00a: 2 small chicken breasts, 1/2 avocado
1:30p: salad from chipotle--lettuce, barbacoa, fajita veggies, tomato salsa, guac, no dressing
5:00p: whey protein shake, 5g creatine
6:00p: 1/2 lb lean ground beef, bell pepper mix from trader joe's, 2 eggs scrambled, 1/2 avocado
9:00p: 1 egg white, shake w/ 1 scoop whey protein, chocolate milk, 1 tsp of almond butter

Way too many whey protein shakes today--didn't have too much food left. Went to Trader Joe's after class and fixed that problem.

3 comments:

  1. I aspire to be able to do burpees like you!:) Nice work today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Alison aspires to do burpees like you, then you must be really fast.

    Nice work today Anthony. When I saw this WOD come up last night, I initially thought of you and was curious to see how your rack position has improved. It sounds like it's better, but has some room to grow. Keep at it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Alison, I'd definitely have to say I'm working on being able to string butterflies together as well as you can.

    The rack position is slowly getting better Jonny, but like you said, there's ample room for improvement. I'll have to work on it this weekend at one of your famous open gym sessions.

    ReplyDelete