"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Friday, January 29, 2010

Thursday: Pleasant Surprise

AM workout, 5:45a @ Bally's:

Warmup:
1 mi run (7:30)

Bench Press
Warmup sets: 135x6, 165x5
Work sets: 190x6, 190x6, 190x6

Back Squat
Warmup sets: 135x5, 185x3, 205x3, 225x2
Work set: 155x20

Was able to get roughly bodyweight on the 20 rep set, pretty happy with that. Got tough as usual towards the end but still pretty doable.

Dips: 20-15-15

Worked on double unders, supersetted with situps, burpees.


PM Workout, 6:00p @ CFC:

Worked on snatch form at #65. Weight wasn't heavy but I'm still learning this movement so kept it light. Most reps were a muscle snatch into an overhead squat. Saw "Jeremy" is on the docket for today--would like to give that a shot at Rx'd no matter how long it takes, could probably do it in a decent time at #10-15 lighter.

Metcon:
4 rds for time,
300 m row, 15 thrusters (#45), 10 pullups

Time: 8:59

Got in right under 9 mins. I was pretty happy and pleasantly surprised with the time, since I'm not really great at any of these movements. I think the key was to get everything unbroken, and pace the row. My rows were all around 1:55-2:05, and didn't have to exert myself too much on them. Felt like dropping the bar on thrusters but I was determined not to after my sub-par "Jackie" performance on Sunday. I butterflied the first half of each round of pullups but would usually get thrown off my rhythm and have to switch to normal kipping pullups--I'm getting pretty fast at the butterflies but end up getting too far away from the bar. Solid push from Bryce, Chris, and the 6pm crew. I've also been getting cotton-mouth during the middle of every metcon for the past few weeks--I drink 5-7 glasses of water a day so I think I may need to hydrate better.

Food Log:
5:30a: whey protein, H20, 1/3 clif protein bar (pre-work)
7:15a: muscle milk, 1/3 sweet potato (post-work)
8:30a: 20 nuts
9:00a: 1/3 lb ground beef, 1/2 avocado
11:30a: 3 eggs (whole, scrambled), chicken sauasage
12:45p: packet of jerky
2:30p: chicken breast, sauteed mushrooms and peppers, 1/2 avocado
4:30p: 3 egg whites (bolied), nuts (pre-work)
7:30p: chili, 4 oz steak
9:00p: smoothie--milk, 1/3 muscle milk, almond butter

1 comment:

  1. After your Jackie time, I thought I had you in this WOD. Lo and behold you knock me off my high horse and get me by 4 ticks. Damn you!

    BTW, this is a tremendous improvement and Bryce and I spoke afterwards how this was tougher than Jackie. Next time you do Jackie, you're going to slaughter your current PR by at least 60 ticks if not 90.

    Really nice work and I hope to see you on Sunday at WL.

    ReplyDelete