"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Friday / Saturday

Took a rest day Friday. Had been planning on doing a run after work but was pretty beat up from the workouts on Thursday, which included "Karen." Usually I try to work out something that isn't sore, but everything was sore yesterday--first true rest day since Christmas I think.

Food Log for Friday:
7:30a: smoothe--1 scoop whey protein, chocolate link, almond butter
8:30a: potbelly's sandwich--ham, egg, swiss, mushroom (no bread)
10:00a: nuts, few pieces of jerky, cup of black coffee
12:30p: salad from goodwin's in the loop--tuna salad, tomatoes, avocado. Had some non-paleo in it: black beans, shredded cheese
3:30p: rest of the jerky, nuts
7:00p: had dinner over at a friend's. managed to stay paleo for the most part--had chicken breast with a mango/pineapple/bellpepper salsa and salad. However, I did break down and have a bunch of crackers w/ cheese, and two small pieces of cheesecake. Knew I would be paying for it during Saturday's workout, but it was still delicious.

Saturday:

AM Workout, 9:00a @ CFC:

Back Squat: 5-5-5+

145-170-190 (14 or 15)

These felt really solid. I think the 20 rep squat sets, increased strength work, and chocolate milk protein smoothies are starting to pay off. Probably had a few more left, but I didn't want to fail on the rack.

Metcon:
10 rounds,
3 thrusters (Rx'd @ #135, used #115)
6 toes to bar
9 box jumps ("24)

Time: 12:46

Went with Zack's advice to go as heavy as I could on this one. Broke up thrusters on maybe 3 out of the 10 rounds, but they weren't as bad as I thought. Randy coached me through and I got better as the WOD went on. The weight wasn't that heavy, but my transitions and efficiency could really use some work--need to make sure to explode up in one fluid motion instead of front squatting and pressing. I failed 3 toes to bar barely on the very last round--kip wasn't hard enough, but these and box jumps were solid for the most part.

One thing I'm working on during workouts is to always keep moving. One characteristic I've noticed among the top crossfitters is that even if they are fatigued / moving slower than at the start of the workout, they rarely stop to take rests. I could have sped up on the transition between the box jumps and thrusters, but I wanted to make sure I didn't fail the thrusters. Definitely something to work on during every workout.


PM Workout, 4:00p @ Bally's:

500m row (2:00)
0.5mi run (8:00/mi)

Bench Press: 5-5-5+
150-175-195 (4)

Shoulders were a bit fatigued from this morning, but the person spotting me again just took hold of the bar and helped me a bit on my 5th rep. I did two more reps (total of 7) with the person helping at the end. Again only counted 4. I think I need to do these at CFC with proper spotting next time.

3 sets max pushups, 1 min rest in between
1) 33
2) 25
3) 15

Total: 73

I tried to pace these, shooting for 30 or so each round, but that just didn't happen today. Last time I got 81 total, and my first round was around 40+. Had nothing left on round 3.

Food Log for Saturday:
8:00a: 3/4 cliff protein bar (pre-workout)
10:30a: 1.5 scoop whey, H20 (post-workout)
11:30a: 4 oz steak, chicken, broccoli
2:30p: 3 egg whites, handful nuts (pre-workout)
5:00p: smoothie--1 sc whey, chocolate milk, 5 g creatine
6:30p: 4 oz steak, chicken, broccoli
7:15p: 2 egg whites, handful nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment