"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Manning Up

Good day of workouts. Was out a little late last night but managed to get about 7 hours of sleep--my stomach wasn't feeling great as I headed to CFC this morning, but was happy to get out of bed and get moving.

AM Workout, 10:00a @ CFC:

Jerks: Found 1RM--#185

Got #185 up. Don't know if I can count it as a clean rep though, since I muscled the last few inches up. Weight was very doable, and I think I had about #10-15 more in me, but want to make sure my form is down. Still need to keep working on getting under the bar as fast as possible instead of using my shoulders to push the weight up. Also started to learn the split jerk, which should help with this. Got some good coaching from Zack, Randy, and Eric--trick is to not think about it too much but get aggressive and throw it up.

Metcon:
As Many Round As Possible, 8 mins.
5 clean & jerk (Rx'd @ #135, Went Rx'd)--c&j were power cleans
10 chest to bar pullups

4 rounds + 1 c&j

Pretty happy with this--took Zack's advice, manned up and went with the Rx'd weight again. Goal was to get 4 rounds--thought I could have cycled the c&js faster but didn't want to fail on the cleans. Did fail one clean. Chest to bars were ok, didn't get any rounds unbroken but rests were short. My goal is to do as many of the workouts as Rx'd, even if my times aren't as great, since this will be the only way to get my strength numbers up.


PM Workout, 4:00p @ Bally's:

Warmed up with about 100 double unders and some stretching

Worked on OHS, was going to try to do "Jeremy" from Friday but it was too crowded today. Will try to get to this during an AM workout.

Overhead Squats:
65x5
65x5
75x5
85x5
85x5

Weight never feels that heavy on these, but didn't up the weight since I couldn't drop and my wrist was starting to hurt. The bar at Bally's was pretty slick so my grip was giving out. Definitely a lift I need to work on, since my 1RM is only about #115.


CF Endurance WOD:
1:00 on / 1:00 off, 10 rounds
Goal is to get 3000 meters total

1) 277 m
2) 271
3) 275
4) 273
5) 273
6) 275
7) 278
8) 285
9) 282
10) 293 (so close to 300)

Total: 2782

Did this 10 days ago, and got 2739, so it's a small improvement. I think I try to conserve too much energy during the start of the workout, so I'll try to go out harder next time. I was using a faster stroke rate than normal (26-27/min), and was tired but not too gassed at the end of the workout. In order to get 3000 I'd need to average a 1:45/500m pace for each interval, which is pretty fast for me at my normal pull rate, so I may have to speed up my stroke.

Diid a few hundred double unders with situps, stretches, planks


Food Log:

Today's workouts made me want to eat everything in sight today:

9:15a: muscle milk (pre-work)
12:00p: 4 oz steak, smoothie--whey protein, whole milk, almond butter, 5 g creatine, 2 whole eggs (hard boiled) (post-work)
2:00p: chicken sausage, plantain chips (randy recommended these at trader joe's after class, got them and they are delicious), nuts
3:30p: 3 egg whites (boiled), nuts (pre-work)
6:00p: smoothie--whey protein, whole milk, 5 g creatine, blueberries (post-work), 4 oz steak
7:00p: chicken sausage, plantain chips, nuts
10:00p: 2 ground beef patties, 3 eggs (2 yolk, sunny side up)

I'm still kind of hungry so may eat something else in a bit.

Going to try to head to the West Loop box tomorrow morning for Jonny's open gym. Plan to get some deadlifts in, work on clean and jerks, and then a metcon--not sure what yet though.

No comments:

Post a Comment