My forearms / biceps have felt pretty sore or "dead" since the weekend--Saturday's thrusters, coupled with Sunday's "Jackie" and deadlift/double under workouts are likely to blame. I'm sure during a competition everything is usually pretty sore, so just worked through it today.
AM workout, 5:45a @ Bally's:
500m row (2:00)
0.5 mi run (7:45/mi)
Back Squat:
Warmup:
135x8
185x5
205x3
225x3
Work Set:
150x20
Haven't failed yet on the 20 rep squat program. I was able to get 14 or 15 @ #190 last Saturday at CFC, and squats felt better than ever. This is becoming one of my favorite lifts. I'm tempted to increase the weight #10 during the next workout (program calls for #5-10 increases per workout), but I think it's best not to get ahead of myself.
5 sets, 25-25 double unders followed by burpees / situps, rest 1-2 min in between.
PM Workout, 6:00p @ CFC:
Did Press: 3-3-3+ from Monday
1RM (CFT): #145 (PR is #150)
90-105-117 (9)
Got 11 at #115 last week, I may have had one more in me but didn't set up correctly for the last rep.
So my title for today's post comes from the Crossfit Games 2009 shirt, and I thought it explained my metcon today. I had seen Monday's workout, and since I usually go on Tuesdays and Thursdays, had been planning on doing the wall ball, kb swing, and double under metcon tonight. I'm decent at the KB, getting better at wall balls, and solid at double unders, so I had the mentality all day that I was going to go in and try to crush this workout the best I could. Unfortunately, everyone else during class was on Tuesdays, so Bryce asked me if I wanted to do Tuesday's and make up Monday's later this week. I had set my mind all day on getting solid numbers on the metcon, but knew that doing the hang squat clean / burpee workout would be helpful as well. I think when I first started CFC in July I shied away from the days when a workout had a movement I wasn't great at, but I've realized that come competition time, there's no way to avoid it--you just have to suck it up and do it. One of the things I like the most about Crossfit is that it forces you to become proficient (and excel) in such a wide variety of areas--there's always something you can be improving or working on. Anyways, I'm done going off on my rant.
Metcon:
5 rounds,
7 hang squat cleans (#115)
7 burpees
Time: 6:30
I am pretty terrible at clean movements--my squat cleans were more of a hang clean to front squat. Didn't feel that I had great hip extension during the clean, but I probably also was cleaning the bar too high and not saving myself energy by not getting lower under the bar. I was glad burpees were in the workout, since they are always a lung burner but I tend to enjoy them. Going to try to work on the clean a little this weekend if possible.
Food Log:
5:30a: 1 scoop whey, H20, unsweetened applesauce, nuts
7:00a: smoothie--1% milk, protein, blueberries
9:00a: 2 ground beef patties, 1/2 avocado
10:00a: 10 nuts
11:00a: 4 eggs (3 yolks), 1 chicken sausage
1:00p: packet of jerky
3:00p: salmon, cauliflower
4:30p: 3 egg whites
7:30p: chili, 1/2 avocado, chicken sausage
9:00p: smoothie--milk, protein, almond butter
It's always a challenge for me, switching from a workout I planned to do (esp if full of my strengths) to a different workout (even more esp if full of my weaknesses).
ReplyDeleteNice work, and good time on this wod.
Nice post Anthony. Also, there is no such thing as cleaning a bar too high. There is a thing called not getting under it fast enough, but that's a whole 'nother story.
ReplyDeleteIf you can make it to the open gym on Sunday (WL), we'll work on your cleans and I have a new wrist stretch for ya.
@Kerry--thanks! Nice job on the Rx'd on Tuesday.
ReplyDelete@Jonny--I'll try to make it out to the open gym at WL on Sunday for some of your o-lift coaching--definitely need it (and of course the new wrist stretch).