Did a light workout this morning at Bally's. Wasn't feeling particularly tired/sore from last night's CFT and really wanted to keep repping out some squats and deadlifts, but thought that probably wasn't the greatest idea. Worked on thrusters instead. Was going to go for a run tonight but had some work to take care of, so will try to get in a two-a-day tomorrow.
Workout (6:00 am):
Warmup:
1x500m row (2:05/500m)
1x800m run (7:30/mi)
Thrusters:
75x8
85x8
95x8
95x8
95x5
1 min rest in between sets
Would like to be able to crank these out fast and also improve at anything with weight overhead (OHS, C&J, snatch). Have never done Fran before and want to get proficient at thrusters before I give the Rx'd version a try. Just learned butterflies so I think I could get a decent time.
Also did a few supersets / circuits of double unders, burpees, and v-ups
Per Rudy's advice, I decided to make a list of what I'd like to focus on during the next few months:
-Overhead and olympic lifts (thrusters, OHS, C&J, snatch, cleans, power cleans)
-Raw strength (Doing all workouts as Rx'd--am usually able to do this on the majority of WODs except for those with heavy Rx'd weights for the lifts above)
-Improving CFT--squat should be at 300+, press above current PR (#150), and DL of 400+--may not get all of these by the time we test again but would like to at least see progress.
-Wall balls--would like to string these together effortlessly. The most I can currently do is around 10 or so. Haven't really improved on these since starting CrossFit, and getting good at these would definitely help my times on a number of WODs
-Gymnastics movements (handstand pushups, handstands, muscleups)--am decent at HSPUs but I always start by having my arms already bent when getting into the handstand position, which makes that first one much harder.
-Rowing--I need to be more consistent here, since sometimes my times are solid while on other days I suck big time. Plan to hammer down proper technique, which is even more important for short dudes like myself.
-I'm going to make it my goal to at work on at least one of the above things each time I go into the box and keep working at it. When I was at home for the week of Christmas, I worked on double unders everyday and by the end of the week had finally got them, so hopefully this strategy works just as well.
-In terms of the aesthetics portion of the Paleo+ Challenge, I'd like to maybe gain 5-10 more lbs. of lean muscle mass. I've been pretty lean for the past few years--currently hover around 155 (pre weekends-160 (post weekends). In order to hit some of the strength numbers and do heavier workouts I'll probably need to add a bit more muscle. I'd like to fill out a little bit more, something akin to guys my height like Dutch Lowy (http://games2009.crossfit.com/competitors/athlete-profile-dutch-lowy.html) and Omar Torres (http://games2009.crossfit.com/competitors/athlete-profile-omar-torres.html).
-Coaches and anyone else, please feel free to help me add / edit this list in terms of my goals for the challenge and Crossfit in general. Any input on actual movements I need to work on as well as diet/nutrition advice would be great. Thanks guys.
Food Log:
5:30a: 2 egg whites, handful of nuts and raisins (pre-workout)
7:15a: 1.5 scoops of whey protein + h20, 5 g creatine, 1/2 banana (post-workout)
8:30a: 4 oz grilled chicken breast, 10 nuts
11:00a: 4 egg whites, 2 yolk (scrambled), 1 chicken sausage
12:00p: handful of nuts
2:00p: ground beef, 1/2 avocado, steamed carrots
4:00p: 1 scoop whey + pint skim milk
6:00p: 4 oz steak, 1/2 avocado, salsa
9:00p: 2 egg whites, nuts
One thing you struggled with in the past was your grip position for overhead movements, especially coming out of a clean. I'm not sure if you've worked on it or if it has improved, but something to keep in mind for the challenge.
ReplyDelete