"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Monday, November 15, 2010

New Week

Monday Diet:
7:30a: Whole Foods--brisket, handful of nuts, coffee
9:00a: coffee
10:30a: handful of nuts
12:30p: grilled chicken salad (no dressing), chicken gumbo (had some rice in it)--team went to Buffalo Joe's wings for lunch, and the salad here was actually pretty solid.
2:30p: Clif Builder protein bar, green tea
5:30p: bag of jerky, handful of nuts
6:00p: protein shake (feeling a little light-headed, but probably had this too close to the workout)
8:45p: 1/2 lb flank steak, apple sauce

Tonight's Workout:

A1. AMRAP Toes to Bar, 10 sec rest x3
A2. AMRAP Hspu, 10 sec rest x3
A3. 3 Rope Ascents, 90 sec rest x3

Workout:

For time: (12 min cap)
30 Burpees
40 Cals on rower
50 Box jumps (20″/14″)
60 KB Swings (1.5/1pd)

This one looks good. Monday workouts after the weekend are always rough, but I think the key to doing well is controlling breathing and limiting breaks. Going to do the burpees pretty steady, then try to get a good pace on the row (should be under 3 min or so at least). Box jumps and KBS will be more mental than anything else, as I'm thinking the legs will be getting fatigued by that point.

Workout Notes:

Time: 7:08

Was able to get one of the top times at the box, so happy with the result. I didn't hit the workout particularly hard, as I was more concentrated on getting everything steady and unbroken.

30 burpees: unbroken
40 calorie row: BAD
50 box jumps (20"): unbroken
60 KBS (1.5 pood, #53): unbroken

I was the first one done with burpees, and had probably a 5 or so burpee lead on Cam. That said, I was at 2 calories when he stepped on the rower--and was at 33 calories when Cam got to 40. I've been doing 2 rowing workouts / week, and it doesn't really feel like I've been improving very much, which is frustrating. It seems like the only way I can row faster splits is to up the stroke rate, which is fine to a point, but would likely tire me out for the other parts of the workout.

Box jumps and kettlebell swings weren't fast, but were more of a mental exercise as I wanted to do them unbroken. There's always a point during a workout where you feel tired, but I've started getting better at sort of blocking that pain out and pushing past it. I've found that if I can get past that sticking point, it's much easier than if I stop to take a break. Once I got to 25 on the box jumps, I just kept a steady pace and finished them off. It was the same with the KBS--once I got to 30, I had the end of the workout in sight. While the swings got tough, I got in a zone where it felt like I was just hanging out, and tried to ignore everything that was tired. The most swings I've done in a workout unbroken is 45 or so, so I was happy with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment