"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Tuesday: Grip It and Rip It

My traps and abs were beat up pretty badly from Monday's workout. High-rep situps resulted in me wincing all day Tuesday (and even today) whenever I sneezed.

AM workout, 6:00a @ Bally's:

Did a little rowing and running to warmup.

Deadlift

Warm: 135x5, 185x3, 225x3
Work: 275x5, 275x5, 275x5 (72% of 1RM)

Felt decent, could have maybe gone a little higher to around #300 (1RM of #380) but I always lose my grip on the bars at Bally's so kept it safe that morning.


PM workout, 6:00p @ Bally's:

Snatch work: 8x2 (all power)

1RM is #125, worked under that at #115 for all sets. Got all sets pretty easily, no fails. Still need to make sure I get full extension on the way up, but finally listening to Rudy and Bryce and concentrating on getting under the bar as fast as possible. Still haven't attempted a full squat snatch 1RM, but would like to get one at bodyweight (#155-160) in the coming months.


Metcon:
Clean & Jerk ladder (power cleans)

1st minute do 1 C&J, 2nd minute do 2 C&J, and so on...until unable to complete specified reps for a the minute.

9 full rounds + 7 reps (Rx'd @ #135)

Again surprised at how this one went. Was pretty nervious about it all day yesterday. Felt similar to the #155 power clean / pullup workout at Windy City a few weeks ago, in that I didn't think I'd do particularly well but when it came time just went at it best I could. I wasn't sure if there was any strategy on this one, and basically just tried to do the reps as fast as possible so maximize rest time in between minutes. My jerks at the start probably had some press in them, but as I got tired started to put the bar in a better rack position and use technique more--felt pretty solid even when tired. In a heat with Ben W, Brett Raz, and Nick, so it was good to put in a solid showing. Nice to see strength is coming along--a few months ago, when we did something like a 3 minute AMRAP of #135 clean and jerks I got 4.

Fight Gone Bad tonight. Is anyone else as excited as I am? PR back in September was 321, so shooting for 350 tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment