"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Breathing



Finally manned up and started to post some pics. Fight Gone Bad @ Atlas Crossfit, 9/25/10.


Pretty nice and relaxing weekend, didn't train too hard nor did I even go out. It was actually nice to just hang out and relax. The summer weekends were definitely fun, but I felt like I didn't get any down time between the work weeks so they were definitely tiring--also not conducive to training. Will still go out on the weekends (I mean, it is college football season), but probably not as much as in the summer.

Saturday, 10/2

10 min AMRAP of:
6 Cleans (must pass through full squat) (120/65 or 45% of 1RM)
12 Pull-ups
24 Double-unders

5 full rounds + 5 squat cleans

Did this workout alone early in the AM before coaching the 9am class. This was a really fun workout and I think I could have gotten closer to 6 rounds if I had someone else to do it with. The clean weight was really light but the entire workout was just an exercise in controlling my breathing. Pullups were pretty much unbroken, and my butterfly made me a little out of breath so I had to steady myself before hitting the double unders. Will revisit this one in the future.

Was able to help coach all three classes Saturday morning at CFC and it was a good time. With having people in town and FGB the last few weekends, I haven't gotten a chance to get in my hours. Jonny and Rudy let me have a little group of my own during the classes and I was able to attempt to teach the power clean as well as explain the workouts. As I'm still pretty new to coaching, I had a tough time explaining how to power clean the first time around for some new athletes. I'm saving up for the Level I cert, but will continue doing my own homework on teaching the different movements.

Sunday, 10/3

Urbanathlon training run--40 minute training run

Felt pretty good. The Urbanathlon is next weekend. The furthest training run I've done is probably around 7 miles, and I'm really just looking to have fun during the race. Since this is the first time I've done this I'm planning on feeling it out, and then perhaps next year will try to get a more competitive time. Will still go pretty hard though. Can't complain, as about this time last year I was getting ready to run 26.2 miles instead of 9.

Monday, 10/4

AM, 5am @ FFC

20 rep back squat set @ #180

CFE on C2:

3x1000m, 2 min rest, steady pace

1) 3:54
2) 3:57
4) 3:54

Need to start pulling at a faster stroke rate–can’t get any faster when pulling around the low-20s, so will try to get it up to 25/26 strokes per minute. Had a lot left in me at the end so I think I can handle it cardio-wise. I need to have a better strategy doing rowing workouts, as I certainly can't dominate a workout based on rowing but could be more efficient. I'm trying to pull longer and harder, but am still having trouble pulling anything consistently under a 1:55 or so for more than 1K.


PM, 7p @ CFC

Strength:
2 power cleans / minute for 10 minutes

Sets #1-7: #175
Sets #8-10: #185

No fails, felt solid the whole way through.

Workout:
10-8-6-4-2
Shoulder to overhead (#155)
Burpees
KB Swing (2 pood, #70)


Time: 6:46

Bryce said I should be able to get this around 5 minutes or at least the jerks unbroken. Tough workout, as my shoulders were done after the first round. Jerks were the only thing broken up. Jerks went 10, 3-3-2, 3-3, 3-1, 2. Definitely used up time cleaning the bar back up. One of the things I saw I need to work on is being able to pick up and lift the weight when I'm gassed. I realize I spent time each round going from the kettlebell and then taking my time to set up to clean the weight. While I shouldn't rush it to the point where I fail a rep, I know that in order to be more competitive I need to learn how to lift the weight under duress. Games champ Graham Holmberg recently had a video where he talked about learning how to move loads while fatigued, and how it helped him in competition. Just another thing to work on.

1 comment: