The title of today's post sums up my approach towards training for the first round of the Games next year. Perhaps the best part about CFC is the community aspect--the sport is inherently an individual pursuit, but it is a pursuit that is done along with others who are willing to work just as hard (if not harder) as you. It's pretty easy to get excited/nervous/amped up for a workout when you've got others around you and sets of eye on you--there is a pressure to perform to the best of your ability, and that pressure pushes your effort that much more.
One of the things I've been working on is to do some workouts on my own. I'm not able to make it to CFC everyday, so I do some workouts at a regular gym by my apartment, usually at 5:30 am in the morning. Gone are the "comforts" of one of the coaches yelling out "3, 2, 1...Go!," the thud of bumper plates and barbells slamming to the ground, and the words of encouragement from other athletes and spectators. All of this is replaced by near silence. Coupled with the fact that it's 5:30 am in the morning, the feelings of nervous energy have evaporated and instead I just feel...well, tired.
I've found these solo workouts to be beneficial to my overall improvement. While I don't usually set any PRs so early in the morning, I use the workouts more as a mental exercise. While awesome, the CFC community can be a mental crutch at times, and I've been working on pushing and motivating myself during metcons when no one is there to say anything. Are my reps legit? Am I resting too much? One thing I've been doing is doing a few extra reps on different movements at times, even when I know I've completed them. I feel this should help in a competition setting when a judge may take away some of my reps. I'm sure the mental aspect of expending the energy to do reps have have them not count can be mentally defeating as well as throw off my gameplan, so I'm trying to work on this now.
Anyways, here was Tuesday's workout:
Tuesday AM--5:45a @ FFC:
Press: 5-3-1+ (70/80/90% of #155)
110-125-140(3)
I think my 5RM is #140, but was okay with this since my upper body still had a bit of residual soreness.
I actually "warmed up" for the workout with some front squat work
95(5)-115(4)-135(3)
Workout:
21-15-9
Front Squat (#135)
Burpees
Time: 6:10
Could have gotten closer to around 5:00 min, but was ok with this performance. #135 is about 54% of my 1RM front squat of #250, so it was a decent weight. The burpees were harder than I thought they would be, since 1) I was a little out of breath and 2) my legs felt smoked. Rested a little too much at some points. Also had to take the sets of 15 and 9 from a rack instead of the ground since I couldn't drop the plates--lost some time taking it from the ground to the rack.
Front Squats: 21 unbroken / 8-7 / 9 unbroken
Burpees: Some 5 second rests during the first two sets, set of 9 unbroken
Post-WOD
Weighted step-ups 3x10 (5 per leg): #30 dumbbell / hand, #35, #40
Dips (unweighted): 3x10
Tuesday PM--7:30p--Lake front
30 minute training run for the Urbanathlon. Even after the front squats in the morning my legs felt pretty good, and only had a little bit of lower back tightness. Pushed the pace a little more than normal. Perfect Fall running weather--I've got a feeling I won't have too many more of these chances so took advantage of it.
Good thought.
ReplyDeleteI would think the goal is to have the same performance whether you are in the group setting or working out alone.
I know my best workout times have been with the group but me mentally in my own head alone. The room was crowded but it I was alone. The clock is moving but the current time is irrelevant. If you plan to compete, you consistently have to get to that place where everything is a blur except you and the workout.