"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Friday, August 13, 2010

Skills Day and Active Rest Day

Had originally been planning to take a rest day on Thursday, but got some good sleep in and felt pretty good in the morning. I know rest days are important, but I have a difficult time not doing anything at all on a day, so I usually will just go with a lighter-impact workout when I'm feeling tired or gearing up for a tough stretch of training.

Thursday AM, 5:30a:

Back Squat 5-5-5+ (60/70/80% of 1RM @ #290)

175-205-235(10)

Depth felt good–maybe a few more reps but no spotter this morning. Did 3×5 @ #245 and 3×3 @ #255 last week so this was right where I thought I’d be.

Metcon, CF Football WOD:

12 min. AMRAP,

10 dumbbell thrusters, #45 / hand
250 m row

5 full rounds

Neither of these are strengths for me, so pretty happy with the effort. First round of thrusters unbroken, the rest were either 5-5 or 6-4. Rows all around 2:00/500m pace, just kept it steady except for a 1:40 pace on the last one.


Thursday PM--7:00p

Went to CFC thinking I might work on squat snatches, but thought I should just take it easy instead. Worked on muscle-ups and pistols with Rudy for awhile. In the past year or so that I've been doing Crossfit, nothing has frustrated me more than muscle-ups. I've never had any problems with churning out ring dips or chest-to-bar pullups, as they are actually two of my strengths, but when it comes to pulling myself up on the rings I fall apart. Finally got my first muscleup a few weeks ago, but haven't gotten one since. Rudy worked with me for a good amount of time on strict muscleups, and I came close a few times but still need to get the transition down and remember to keep my elbows into my body. This is a skill I'll need to get good at over the next year, since it's bound to come up at an important time during competition. Also did some pistols--not terrible, but need to work on flexibility as well as balance and making sure I sit back in my heels.

Thursday Diet:
5:15a: protein + water, OJ, gatorade
6:45a: protein + chocolate milk, fish oil
8:30a: 2 eggs, sausage, 1/2 avocado
11:30a: RTD protein shake
2:30p: chicken cobb salad from panera
5:30p: protein bar, apple
8:30p: 2 eggs, meatballs, 1/2 avocado, plantain chips


Friday, 5:00a

Had to work out earlier than usual on a Friday due to a call I had at work at 8am, but felt pretty good after going to bed pretty early on Thursday. Used today as a lighter, active recovery day.

Bench Press 5-5-5+ (60/70/80% of 1RM @ #225)

135-155-180(10)

Pretty light weights. Haven't really putting much work into my bench numbers since it doesn't come up all that often during workouts, so I'm okay with these numbers.

Run, 1.25 mi

Alternated between :45 sprint and :45 walking

Row, 4x250m, 1 min rest in between rounds
1) :50 2) :54 3) :53 4) :53

Given my body type rowing isn't a strength, but just trying to make sure my effort on the rower is sufficient and isn't the deciding factor on how well I can do a work out.

Diet today so far has been basically the same as all of my other days, had a Potbelly's salad for lunch.

I've got a solid workout that I came across for tomorrow that should be a pretty good test of all-out effort. Will also be great to watch everyone go through Kelly another time around. Big emphasis on "watch."

No comments:

Post a Comment