"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Building the Foundation

Was able to get to the box last night to chat with Bryce about a training plan for the next 6+ months in preparation for competing next year. Was able to address two things--1) what I need to work on 2) how I should go about working on my weaknesses. My overall focus is to get stronger and refine my technique to the point where I can at least put up decent numbers compared to bigger competitors. This is with regards mainly to the olympic lifts as well as some skill/gymnastics movements. I'll try to post actual numbers and goals up this weekend. I'm pretty happy with anything cardio-related right now, and strength numbers are going up, but I still struggle on heavier, higher-rep workouts. My aim is to handle these types of workouts and get times that are at least in the middle of the pack, and then make up ground on my strengths.

Tuesday Workout, @ CFC, 6am:

Press: 5-5-5+ (60/70/80% of 1RM @ #155)

95-110-125(10)

Metcon:
1/2 Cindy (+#20 weighted vest)

10 min AMRAP:
5 pullups
10 pushups
15 squats

12 rounds even

This was a South Central Regionals workout so wanted to see where I stacked up. Butterfly pullups weren’t allowed. Legs felt tired after all the squats yesterday but tried to keep moving throughout. Had to break up the last few rounds of pushups, which I don't normally do but the vest fatigued me earlier.

Would have placed 8th out of ~60 guys at the Regional, but again this one was in my wheelhouse. The first workout before that was a snatch/OHS ladder which started at #135 and went up to #225--probably wouldn't have gotten past the first few bars on that one.

Diet:
4:45a: whey protein + water, g2 gatorade, few sips of OJ
6:50a: chocolate milk + whey, creatine
8:30a: 2 eggs (whole), sausage
10:00a: Pure Protein ready to drink shake (found these at Trader Joes' over the weekend--about half the price of a Muscle Milk @ $2/pop, 35g protein, 1g sugar, 4g carbs--obviously some artificial stuff in there but not too bad for a quick, easy snack)
12:30p--potbelly's farmhouse salad (2x chicken, lettuce, tomato, blue cheese, egg, bacon, garlic vinaigrette)
3:00p--think thin protein bar
5:30p--bag of jerky, bag of nuts (about 2 big handfuls)
9:00p--leftover steak, 1/2 avocado, fish oil

No comments:

Post a Comment