"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Fight Gone Heavy

Wednesday Workout:

As I've started coaching at the box and gaining experience doing Crossfit over the last year, I've begun to get smarter about my own programming and workouts. In the past, I'd do the CFC workout and then just go to the gym on my own and do a bunch of random exercises. Now when I work out alone, I have a set plan and workout in mind, usually something that I need to improve upon.

I saw our max effort 1 round FGB workout, and wanted to try a little experiment. I plan on making this up before coaching on Saturday, so I made up my own variation on Wednesday w/ a heavy bias:

Task Priority FGB–Heavy Bias

3 rounds for time, (3 min rest in between instead of 1)

20 wall balls (did #30 DB / hand thrusters)
20 sumo deadlift high pulls (#95)
20 box jumps (no box, did #25 ball slams)
20 push press (#95)
20 calorie row

Breakdowns
Rd 1: 5:56
Rd 2: 6:22
Rd 3: 5:51

Rd 1:
Thruster 12-8 / Sumo 10-5-5 / Slams 10-10 / Push 10-10 / Row 1:07

Rd 2:
Thrust 12-8 / Sumo 5-5-3-7 / Slam 10-10 / Push 12-8 / Row 1:08

Rd 3:
Thrust 12-8 / Sumo 5-3-5-7 / Slam 10-10 / Push 12-8 / Row 1:05

Tried to break each movement into two sets and did it except for the sumos. Back was pretty tight from deadlifts yesterday. Was able to keep splits relatively consistent but definitely got soft in the middle round. Thought this would be a good one to try as we did a heavy version of FGB last year and I remember it destroying me. Made the rest between rounds longer since I wanted to give each round a pretty hard effort.

Post-WOD:
3×10 steep decline situps

Interested to see how this will feel w/ the regular weights this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment