"When one has made a decision...even if it will be very difficult to succeed by advancing straight ahead, it will not do to think about going at it in a long roundabout way. One's heart may slacken, he may miss his chance, and by and large there will be no success. The Way...is one of immediacy, and it is best to dash in headlong"

'Hagakure," -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Trainin'

Great quote off from OPT's blog today, from Brazilian poet Paulo Coelho:

"Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself.
And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream."

Saturday Sectionals Training Workout, 1/29

10 min to establish:

15RM Overhead Squat: #135(failed on 15), #115x15

This was interesting and tough strategy-wise. Went for #135 and failed on my last rep, but Rudy said he wouldn't have counted the depth on my last few reps. Had him judge the #115 and got it--4 no reps. Shoulders and stabilization got tough the last five reps. Need to work on these weekly.

10 min rest, then

50 chest-to-bar pullups / 50 burpees for time

Time: 5:17

Placed 4th behind George, Glenn, and Brett R, who were all just below sub-5 minutes. I was shooting for that as well, but had more trouble than I normally would with grip on the pullups--headed to the burpees at around 3 minutes. Burpees weren't unbroken, but I tried gunning them in sets then resting for a bit. The extra weight I've got on definitely made a difference, but I started leaning out again this week.

Sunday, Active Rest Day

Was out late Saturday night and was feeling pretty wrecked actually from the Sectionals workout, but wanted to get a little bit of a sweat going.

Bench Press 5-5-5-5-5, 135-155-165-175-185

Hadn't bench pressed in at least a month, so kept it light.

Tabata Row: High: 101 Low: 91

Monday, 1/31

Front Squat 3×3 @ #235

Got up to #240 for three on my 3-3-3-3-3 sets last week, so this felt pretty solid. Need to make sure my heels are stuck to the ground--Rudy gave me a cue of making sure I pinch my hip flexor back as I descend.

8 Rounds for total reps:
20 seconds on:10 seconds off of:
Squat Clean (#115)
Box Jump (20″ box)

Total Reps: 185

I think I placed fourth on this for the day, 1 rep behind Glenn and Bryce (186) and 5 behind Peter (190). I actually should have hit this harder, as I felt that I had too much left at the end--Monday workouts usually feel pretty bad due to my diet on the weekends, but I felt ok. Got 5 squat cleans on the first round, 4 for most others, but only 3 on two (got too conservative in the middle). Box jumps 18-20 on all rounds.

Tuesday, 2/1

Bench Press: 5-5-5-5-5

155-165-175-185-195

BP isn't necessarily a lift I need to work on, but knew I'd likely be doing push presses on Wednesday, and legs were tight from Monday.

5 rounds for time,
800 m run
15 burpees
30 double unders

Time: ~28:40

Haven’t run consistenly in awhile, so paced the runs at 7:30-8:00/mi. Burpees unbroken, tripped up twice on the double unders. Spent some time restarting the treadmill and walking over to my burpee/DU area each round. Splits roughly 5:12-10:49-16:50-22:40-28:40.

Post-WOD: 3×10 hanging knee raises–focused on keeping a tight core on both the raising and lowering movements.

Wednesday AM Conditioning, 2/2:

10 rounds
2 min on stair climber (100 steps / minute)
10 KBS (1.5 pood)

Moderate pace on the climber, covered about 125 floors in 20 minutes. KBS unbroken. Worked up a good sweat on this starting at round 3, and last two rounds were actually a little tough.

Hopefully making it in tonight after work to make up yesterday’s.

Adding in the longer workouts to get my gas tank back, but also making a concerted effort to stay on top of the basic strength movements. Over the next few weeks leading up to Sectionals I also plan to work on overhead squats, Games standard muscle-ups, and general strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment